The first transit services in Sudbury, Ontario were the Sudbury & Copper Cliff Suburban Electric Railway, operating for nearly 40 years until 1951. In that year the company reorganized as Sudbury Bus Lines Limited, later to became an umbrella corporation of Laurentian Transit. In 1972 the service was taken over by the City of Sudbury Community Services Department and the Ontario Ministry of Transportation and Communications demonstration programme, operating as Sudbury Transit. Today the service has been rebranded and is known as GOVA.
Stuart Ash led the work on Sudbury Transit, the first in a series of identity programs created for transit authorities out of his then newly established Toronto studio (Oshawa, Oakville, Burlington and Broome would follow). This 8 page booklet, contains general information on the services, routes and schedules between Sudbury and Copper Cliff INCO (nickel mine and refinery), forming a new ‘Shift Transit’ service. Printed in red and black ink only (the corporate colours for Sudbury Transit) this piece features a bold typographic cover reinforcing the nature of the service. Inside, the contents are set on a 2 column grid and include various geometrically constructed maps, timetables and service information. Interestingly the Sudbury Transit symbol, a distinctive, winding, road-like ‘S’ is not present on this piece.